Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Game of Thrones


Lots of spoiler in this post, for anyone who reads Song of Fire and Ice or watches HBO’s Game of Thrones.

Wolfsister’s Song of Fire and Ice Meme. This has been bouncing around. I’m not quite up to being the greatest artist in the world, but here are my answers in the language of English, rather than pretty pictures.

1 Why did you first pick up the books?

My friend told me not to, with all the passion of a man who had become invested with something he couldn’t turn away from, however-much he desperately wanted to abandon the thing that had torn his heart asunder. He said to me, “Don’t read them! It’s too much… too much… You’ll love these characters like your own babes and then you’ll watch the author KILL THEM ALL! It will chip away at pieces of your soul until you have nothing left but your own wretched sobs, and then, George R. R. Martin will probably die before he ever even finishes the story, so there’s more heartbreak for you. Don’t start. You’ll love it, and then you’ll regret it. Bitterly.”

So naturally I had to figure out what the heck he was talking about.

2 Who is your favorite character?

Tyrion Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Arya Stark, Sansa Stark, Brienne. I love every scene with either of the Clegane brothers. The Hound is an awe-striking, complex anti-villain and The Mountain gives me squirmy nightmares. I could go on, but we’d be here all day.


3 What is your favorite canon ship?

Dany and Drogo; two people who seemed like they had nothing in common, at first. Well played.

4 What is your favorite non-canon ship?

Sandor and Sansa? Are they non-canon or canon? I like that I can’t honestly tell.

5 Who is your least favorite character?

This one’s hard. It almost stopped me from doing the whole thing, actually. They’re all necessary and they all have their moments when I love them desperately… I guess I find Theon’s POV kind of taxing sometimes.

6 What is your favorite theory?

I sort of feel like “Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar’s son” is sort of like “Snape is in love with Lily”. We all pretty much figured it out, but the same friend who begged me not to read the books thinks that GRRM is vindictive and petty enough that he might go ahead and change it just because everyone figured it out. I like to give him more credit than that and say that it’ll be confirmed as canon before the series end.
“Sandor is alive” might fit in the same category, but I feel like it’s less likely to be confirmed in canon.

7 Who is going to be the last Stark in Winterfell?

Arya.

8 What is your favorite scene?

There are a lot. I’ll pick my favorite today; Ayra repeating The Tickler’s interrogation questions over and over again as she stabs him to death. Bloody and beautiful.

Can I skip question nine? I’d like to check “Not applicable” or maybe "How embarrassing" if it's there.

10 You can kill anyone, who is it?

Honestly? Stannis. It’s nothing personal. I just don’t think he should be king… As long as he’s alive, he’ll keeping trying to take over. I support Dany's ambitions to claim the Iron Throne, so Stannis has to go.

 11. What is your favorite quote?

Anything Tyrion says, but this very overused (for a REASON) quote sticks out in my mind.
"I have never liked you, Cersei, but you were my own sister, so I never did you harm. You've ended that. I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid."

One last thing?

Dear George R. R. Martin,

Be healthy! Don’t DIE, I beg you. It’s okay to be sincere rather than cynical, don’t feel like you need to drench the final books in despair just because it’s what everyone expects. Whatever you’ve got planned will be amazing (and I’m sure it’s dark enough). If it will help I will write and choreograph a cheerleading routine for motivational purposes.

Love, Ailsa

No comments: