Thursday, February 23, 2012

At thirty pounds, kiss a random stranger.

I didn’t make too many New Year’s Resolutions this year. I typically don’t, but I did have a couple of vague ideas sort of floating around that I failed to turn into concrete goals. Things like; I want to write four novels this year, and I’d like to be able to do a handstand for a full minute and a muscle-up, complete FRAN AP… Last year I had a couple of soft, unsolidified goals like this that I actually managed to complete. I ran a 10K, I did NaNoWriMo, head-butted a Marine (alright, that wasn’t a goal, it was just fun).

Anyway, you might notice that some of the physical goals that I’ve set for myself are kind of hard on the shoulders. I managed to screw up my right shoulder pretty bad a few years ago, and ever since then I’ve had a hard time doing anything that requires full mobility in that shoulder. It took me a few years to figure out that when I force it to work, it feels better! Loads better than when I baby it. I’m sure there’s a spiritual lesson in there, but anyway, I can finally do un-scaled pull-up which is huge for me, and it’s an important step towards the muscle-up.

A good friend of mine made the goal to lose 30 pounds, and what’s awesome is that she’s actually well on her way and now we’re into February, so good for her! She came up with a somewhat unusual and adorable reward system. At five pounds she gets a manicure, at ten pounds she goes salsa dancing, at fifteen pounds she crashes a wedding, etc.

I thought about putting together something similar for my own goals, but then I realized I’m totally boring and the only rewards that would motive me would be really uninteresting things like ‘take a nap’ which I would probably do anyway.

Anyway, as it’s going to be March soon enough I just wanted to give a big “KEEP IT UP!” shout out to everyone who is awesome enough to make goals for themselves and then achieve them.

No comments: